Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Hansen

I went to Dale Hansen's backyard party for ALS this past Saturday night. The ticket was $100 and included open bar, margarita machine, BBQ buffet, late night pizza, and semi-decent music.

I thought I'd be smart and get there early so I could talk to the big man himself and possibly secure a round of golf at Dallas National. The gates opened at 6:30 and I arrived at 7:00. Apparently people were beating down the gates to get in because I was about the 300th person there. So there wasn't much chance of a decent 1 on 1 conversation.

I finally figured that I drove 2 hours, so I might as well try to make a deal. I offered him $1,000 for a round with him and 3 guys. He said "we might do something on stage later tonight...if not, call me at the station and I'll take care of you".

Well, we never did a deal on stage, but I'll probably send him an email to see if he'll let me get out there. He did say it costs him $1,000 to take a group out there. If it turns out to be an ALS donation, then at least I'll get a tax write off on top of it.

He ran a small (quantity, not dollar amount) auction and had some pretty good schtick. They auctioned off a balloon ride for about $2k, a Napa Valley vacation for about $3k, a ride in a jet for $6k, and two Super Bowl tickets for $12k. I think he ended up generating over $100k for ALS. Pretty impressive for a local sportscaster.



His place is badass. Great meandering pool with a landscaped backyard that even Tbags would approve of. Probably a hundred acre ranch and house on a small (thousand?) acre lake in Waxahachie. Nice, quiet, and secluded...but not beyond extravagant. I'd much rather have this setup than some of the high end McMansions you see in Frisco & Plano.

Not as many famous people as I thought though. Coach Joe and his voice modulator were there. So was Brad Sham. There was also the woman that fell at Ranger Stadium on opening day about 15 years ago. He quickly asked her to "get off my stage".



He also introduced "the lovely Mrs. Hansen" who is a very attractive older lady. Not what I expected for Dale, but good for him.

I'd go back.




No comments:

Post a Comment